Sunday, March 1, 2009

My Story


Some people have been asking me about applying to Berkeley College lately so I will write a little about that today.

I noticed that I have not really explained to you who I am and what motivated me to go to the United States. There is a lot to cover about it and that would take more than one blog to explain.

I grew up in southern Sweden in a small city with a population of approximately 30,000 people, cows and horses. I actually always wanted to go to the United States ever since I was a kid.

I am not sure what really triggered the passion to America in me but I believe I have always lived in an American way. I went to study journalism and broadcasting in high school for three years. In Sweden people can actually chose a major in high school.

I started working after three long years of studying. At first, I was only working part time with various jobs such as McDonald’s, assistant at a computer store, and at a small book factory that specialized in putting books together.

I really just wanted a job with a good salary that would allow me to save some money. I found a job at an auto glass factory in my hometown a few months after college. At first I was only supposed to work there for four months because most companies in Sweden do not want to hire you longer than that, meaning they will extend your contract if they need you and if you are doing a good job. 

I worked for four months and was than let go because the demand for side windows was low. I went to Switzerland to work there for a month and was after that called in again by my old job.

I stayed approximately three years that time and figured I had enough money to go to New York after that.

I needed to translate my Swedish grades and have two letters of recommendation from a mentor, teacher, or close friend. I did not have to do the SAT or the TOEFL since my grades were good enough.

I found it very hard to find all the information about how to apply to a college in the United States. Therefore, I contacted a Swedish organization called GoStudy that helped me for free to apply to Berkeley College.

I applied about six months before I attended school the first day. There is a lot of paperwork to do with visa and student loans so I recommend you to give yourself enough time for it.

It is also hard to find an apartment. I found it via craigslist.org, which is a bit risky. There is a lot of fraud and scamming going on there but I was lucky and found a decent place where I could stay.

I will tell you more about my first days in New York in my next blog. Contact me if you have any questions. 

No comments: