Thursday, March 5, 2009

Workshop Coming Up!


This week has past relatively fast actually. I have been quite busy with homework but it looks like everything will work out for me this quarter.

I would usually have a day of rest every Friday but that will not be the case on March 20th. The international division at Berkeley College has organized a workshop where attorney Michael Wildes will hold a presentation.

The presentation is supposed to cover topics such as optional practical training, nonimmigrant visa options for graduating students, and recent developments in the field of U.S. immigration and nationality law.

I am definitely looking forward to it and signed up for it as soon as I got the email. I will bring my fiancée actually so this will also be the first time she will visit my school.

I am getting close to finishing my term paper in finance now. I wrote about four pages today and I will probably write at least two more for the first part. There is also a second part of the paper, which will be a summary of what I learned and how managers use the material that I have written about.

The second part will probably contain as many pages as the first part so I will be looking at a 20+ pages paper when I am done.

I have learned a lot from writing this paper though. I am writing about how corporations raise capital in financial markets so I am writing a lot about IPOs, stocks, bonds, and derivatives.

My subscription in The Economist really helps me find good information but I have also found a lot of information from the textbook.

I read on an advertisement in the subway that the MTA might raise the fare to $108 for an unlimited ride monthly metro card. They might also reduce service with less trains and buses.

It would really upset me if this happened. The MTA is not offering adequate service at this time and raising the fare and reducing service is just disgraceful. A lot of New Yorkers would be furious about this decision since many people here have lost their jobs and are struggling economically.

The whole thing with the economy is, of course, a factor in why the MTA is struggling. However, I do believe that they could run their business a lot better. You see MTA employees loitering too many times.

My fiancée took today’s picture. It was taken in Coney Island and you can see the famous Wonder Wheel in the background. I am looking forward to go there in the summer again. 

No comments: