Sunday, March 1, 2009

My Story Continues


I was a little nervous when I got my acceptance letter from Berkeley College. I was actually in the bathroom while opening it and I remember thinking to myself that if I get accepted it will really change my life.

I opened the letter and saw the congratulation title and I felt good but still a little nervous. I literally had no idea of what college would be like in the United States. I did not know anyone there either so I knew I would have to totally start over.

I had not told anyone at work about my application actually because I did not want to do a lot of talking and then be rejected. I called my employer the same day I got the letter actually and worked out a deal with him.

You have to leave a lot of people behind you when going abroad. I had to give up a few good friendships but I guess it is necessary to do things like that in life sometimes. It does not mean you will never see them again but it definitely means a big change.

I also had to start finding an apartment, preparing the visa and the loan after getting the letter, a lot of work with other words.

I felt surprisingly calm about going to the United States. I think I prepared myself during my whole life since I always wanted to go here and that really helped me to remain calm.

I was pretty calm on the day of my flight too. I remember worrying a little about the apartment since I had not actually seen it with my own eyes before. I had contact with the landlord though via phone.

There was a lot to take in the first day I came to New York. I had been here before for vacation, three years earlier but it was nothing like this of course.

I took a cab to my place in Brooklyn and met my landlord and everything. It all turned out great and I felt relieved after dropping of my bags.

I had to go to Berkeley College before classes actually started. All students have to take two tests in math and English to decide whether students need extra classes in those subjects. There was also an orientation day in which students get familiarized with the school and faculty members.

I tried to find friends as soon as possible, which I did. It is not hard to find friends in New York. I was worrying a little about my English but it has never been a problem. I do believe Swedish students have great English even though many feel insecure about it.

This is basically how I did it. It only took two weeks or so for me to feel like home. Like I said, I think my mental preparations for this trip started a very long time ago. 

No comments: