Saturday, September 20, 2008

Swedish Birthday


My family arrived yesterday and it has been really good to see them. We had a Swedish birthday celebration for my mom this morning and she really liked it.

After everyone had woken up, my sister, fiancée, and I prepared to sing “happy birthday” for her. She wanted to eat donuts so we bought a dozen at Dunkin Donuts. We surprised her with the flowers and some other gifts and we had a great family moment.

After the celebration, we went out to eat breakfast. I took them to the diner as I had planned and we had pancakes with egg and bacon. It was really good and everyone liked it.

My family had to wait for the apartment, which they had rented, to get ready. We therefore had some extra time to spend so I took them down to Coney Island. The park was, unfortunately, closed but people can still see the rollercoaster and other roundabouts.

My mom’s husband really liked it because he recognized the place from a movie he had seen when he was younger. The movie is called Warriors and it is actually really fun to check out Coney Island after you have seen it because there are many scenes from there.

I wanted to take my family to the Brooklyn promenade but the guy with the apartment called us and we had to go. We took the train to there and the ride went great even though we had a lot of luggage to carry around.

The apartment is amazing. It is in Midtown Manhattan and it is a penthouse apartment so the view is fantastic. I am really happy for them that they found this place. I will spend the night there tonight, which I am looking forward to.

It is much better than a hotel actually because it is more personal and it is easier to keep the family together with an apartment. The best thing about it is that my family can cook and use the kitchen so they will not have to go out and eat every time they are hungry.

We also went to Planet Hollywood to have dinner this evening. It is a really nice place and their hamburgers are great. I had a big barbeque bacon cheeseburger. It tasted great and we had a really good time together.

I will see my family every day and tomorrow, we are planning to go to the Statue of Liberty. I have not been there since I visited New York in 2004 so I am really looking forward to it. 

No comments: