Tuesday, August 12, 2008

$100 Fine


Last weekend was fairly boring actually. The weather was bad and I stayed inside for most of the weekend.

I got a ticket for not swiping my card in the subway last week. That was really annoying actually because I thought that I would get off with a warning.

What happened was that there were a lot of people in the subway and people were walking through the exit gate, which happens now and then. I walk along and since I have a monthly unlimited ride metro card I didn’t think much of it.

You have to swipe your card in the machine before entering but I didn’t do that. This was actually the first and only time I had ever done anything like this and of course there was a police officer standing by.

He stopped me and asked me to show my metro card, which I did and then he started to take my information. He didn’t want me to go back and swipe it so after waiting for 15 minutes he gave me the ticket.

I was shocked when I saw how much it was, $100. The first question I asked the police officer was where I could go to complain. He gave me the information that I needed and two days after that I went to a hearing in Brooklyn.

That was interesting actually because I have never done anything like that before. I gathered some paperwork to prove that I own an unlimited ride metro card and that I have paid for a card like that since I came here.

What happens is that people will go to an office that looks like a nice post office. Then you will get in line for a hearing. A person will tape and question you about the situation and after that you will get the results.

I didn’t have to show them any evidence because they assumed that everything I told them was true. I have to wait for the response though because they want to compare my case with the ticket that the police officer wrote.

I can understand that I get a ticket even though there were other people entering the gate. However, fining me $100 is outrageous. I think that they will probably lower the amount or write of the ticket for me. I don’t know yet though but I will let you know when I get the answer.

Until then, follow the rules in the subway, strictly!

No comments: