Thursday, January 22, 2009

Working On The Apartment


I am definitely calmer now than I was the time after I got the ticket. I have been cleaning my new apartment and assembled some IKEA things and that makes me feel very happy.

My fiancée and I put all our things in the kitchen the day we moved in. It looked like a mess and I was doubtful that everything would fit in the kitchen. However, I have been cleaning and organizing the last few days and it is really starting to look like a home now.

I have assembled a kitchen table, a drawer chest, and a chair. It is hard work actually and my fingers are pretty sore after all the twisting and hammering. It looks great though and I have realized now that there is so much more space in this apartment than in our old one.

I also, successfully, negotiated with Verizon. I ordered high speed Internet, which usually takes about a week to receive by mail. They will send it to me in two days instead and I also got a free modem with a built-in wireless router.

It is pretty hard to live without television and Internet but I have survived since I have had a lot of other things to do. I also need to assemble a bathroom cabinet. I do not know how to put it up but my landlord will, fortunately, help me with that.

I have a lot to prepare for in school right now. The first tests will take place in about two weeks and I have plenty of things to study. Finance is, for example, pretty challenging to I will have to start practicing the homework we have been assigned.

The finance class requires students to be able to understand financial statements such as cash flows and income statements. We will also have to calculate ratios and understand how financial managers use certain information.

It I a lot to take in and there is more to come. I am learning a lot from the class though and I really want to take this opportunity seriously. I believe that finance is one of the key subjects to understand when dealing with business.

President Obama’s inauguration took place yesterday. Whether people like him or not, he did deliver a very moving speech. I personally believe that he is a very good speaker.  Everything from the speech to president Obama’s after hour dancing was in the newspapers.

I got an assignment in police and society to write a short essay of what Obama said about criminal justice related issues. Unfortunately, he did not talk much about it since the country is more worried about the economy and foreign policies.

I also had to write a little about what I think Obama should focus on when it comes to criminal justice related problems. I will not have to turn it in until next Tuesday, which is good because I need to ask my professor if I missed some part of Obama’s speech where he talks about policing or similar. 

No comments: