Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Applying To Berkeley College


I would like to assign a blog to discuss how to apply to Berkeley College and what international students can expect. I have gotten many emails lately from wondering people so I hope that a few readers will get a better understanding of this topic. 

Sweden may be very different from other countries in terms of application to a foreign country. The VISA applications and how finance the studies probably differ depending on where people are from.

However, applying to Berkeley College generally works the same for everyone. It can be hard for some international students to understand terms such as major, minor, bachelor degree or similar, since the American education system differ a lot from other countries’ education systems.

There is an organization in Sweden called GoStudy that helps Swedish students to apply to colleges abroad. The website can be found at www.igs.se. I used this organization and they helped me with everything from applications to translating my high school grades.

To apply to Berkeley College, people will need to have their grades translated. In Sweden, people will need at least VG in English and Math B, which represents a B in American grades.

It is also recommended that people collect two letters of recommendation. One could be from a former mentor or high school teacher and the other one could be from a former employee or business related person.

There are direct links on this blog that takes people to application forms and similar. I recommend you all to take a look at it. Everyone should try to find an organization that can help him or her to get all proper documents.

I did not have to do the TOEFL, which made my application easier. This may not be the case for all international students though. Berkeley College will test your skills in math and English before classes start. They can then assign you to the proper classes. I had to take one math preparation class for example because I did not do too good on the test.

Finding an apartment in New York is probably the most challenging part when moving to New York. I recommend everyone to use craigslist.org but they should do this with caution since there are many people committing fraud there. I found my first apartment there and it worked fine.

People do not have to be afraid that they do not speak good enough English. The language will be the smallest problem and Berkeley College takes care of international students very well.

Berkeley College has great teacher will years and years of experiences. My teacher in professional selling, for example, owns a company in Midtown Manhattan with 3,000 employees.

Berkeley College will also help students to find an internship. I have not heard any student that has been dissatisfied because the school usual finds great internships for people. I have a friend that got an internship at the Swiss investment bank, UBS for example.

Convincing yourself to take the extra step and apply is the hardest step of all. Sometimes you just have to do what your heart tells you. That is what I did.

No comments: