Sunday, January 18, 2009

Another Mistake Made By The NYPD


I have always respected the New York Police Department and looked up to them. My opinion is now changing, however, because today I got a second ticket in the subway.

My fiancée and I went to IKEA today because we had to buy more things for our new apartment. We had Swedish meatballs with mashed potatoes and it was really good. We found a lot of stuff that will come of great use in the new apartment.

On our way home we had our cart packed with things. We had cabins, drawers, and a big bag full of things on it. Since I got my first ticket in my subway, I have always been very careful in swiping my card.

We had to use the emergency exit because our cart was simple to big for the turnstiles. The gates can be used for that as long as you swipe your card. There was a machine next to the gate where you are supposed to swipe your card so I swiped it there and the machine made a beeping noise as if it accepted my card.

I thereafter opened the gate and walked in with the cart. My fiancée swiped her card and went through the turnstile. After walking through the gate a cop stopped me and said she did not see me swipe the card.

I told her I did but took my card and went to see if I used it or not. When she came back she told me I had not used it even though I had. Obviously, the machine at the gate did not work so the card was not registered.

I told her it is a 30 day unlimited card but she did not care and wrote me a $100 ticket. I am furious right now and seriously believe that the NYPD must be the most incompetent cops in the country.

I obviously did not try to pass through the gate without paying or similar but that is what she wrote on the ticket. I will call my insurance company and ask them if they will cover lawyer costs because they do that in some cases. I will definitely try to defend myself against this.

It is seriously humiliating when cops do this, especially to people who are honest, nice, and look innocent. It is a fact that the city of New York tries to catch people to cover up some of the huge deficit the city is in and it is ridiculous the way they do it.

I have never had any problem against authority or similar. I pay for everything and I am a lawful guy. It is a disgrace how the NYPD treats people sometimes.

I will go to have a new hearing some day and it will again take up a huge amount of time. I am so fed up with this and furious about it. I did swipe my card and they want me to pay $100 just because their machines are not working. This city should feel ashamed. 

No comments: