Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Fare Hike


I am currently looking for an internship and I think I made some progress today. I talked to one of my professors and he promised to help me.

He has many acquaintances and I really think that he can help me get my career to move in the right direction. He will give me the phone number to at least one of his connections and I will go from there.

It definitely helps that I have a 4.0 GPA and therefore also an A in all of his classes. I am not celebrating yet though and I am sure that I have some hard work in front of me.

I will use Berkeley College if my professor’s connections will not help. Berkeley has a terrific placement program and they will help students even though the internship will not earn them any credits.

We were watching a documentary in my international economics class today. It was called “Inside the Meltdown,” and I definitely recommend it. It describes what went wrong and how the economy went into recession.

I think it is possible to find the video online for free but I am not sure. It is a pretty fresh documentary and it really explains the situation in a comprehensible way. It focuses on the Federal Reserve, but it also talks about AIG, Lehman Brothers, and Bear Stearns.

The weather has been very gray lately and I must admit it dampens everyone’s enthusiasm and good mood.

I got back my first math test yesterday. I got 100% on, which feels extra good since there has been some trouble with this class. We have limited time left and we are supposed to have three more tests. The professor told us that he is considering giving out take-home quizzes instead, which will make everything much more convenient.

I have started to plan on what to do next break. I am thinking about going to Florida, which would be extremely fun because I have never been in the South before. I am not sure of what will happen yet though because I might do an internship at that time.

There is talk about a fare hike in New York right now. The bad economy has triggered losses for the MTA and they apparently needs to increase the fare for subway riders. They were at first talking about a $22 increase for a monthly unlimited-ride card but it seems like they will not increase it that much anymore.

It is really frustrating when they increase the fare. Students do not have that much money and it definitely affects many. I thought it was appropriate to post a picture of the subway because of this.

No comments: