Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Workshop


I went to an international employment workshop today. I had a great time there and I learned a few tips about how to talk to future employers about my immigration status.

The workshop was customized for international students and prepared by the international division at Berkeley College. I was surprised how few students showed up for the presentation, but my guess is that most student leave school earlier than 3.30.

There is another workshop tomorrow that is similar to this one so it is not too late to go there. I am not sure I can attend tomorrow’s workshop but I will try to make it work with my schedule.

I bought two books at Barnes and Noble today. My friend and mentor recommended it to me and I really think I will enjoy reading them. The first book is called The Virtue of Selfishness and the second one is called Atlas Shrugged. Both books are written by Ayn Rand, which I believe is a great author.

The guy in the bookstore, surprisingly, told me he did not like it. This surprised me since my experience is that salespeople should try to promote their products, not talk negative about them.

I can understand if he does not agree with certain aspects of what the author is saying but he totally rejected the book and claimed that it was badly written. I started to read The Virtue of Selfishness today and I am already extremely caught up in it.

One thing I like about The Virtue of Selfishness is that it is easy to read but it still describes the concepts very well. I believe it has less than 200 pages so no one has to worry about not being able to finish the book.

Atlas Shrugged is definitely thicker and I believe it has more than 1,000 pages. I found this book in the fiction department but there is definitely more to this book than just plain fiction. It is extremely up to date when it comes to the economic crisis even though it was first published in 1957.

It describes economic possibilities and can be related to the current financial crisis. I believe The Wall Street Journal has a few articles about this book and I would recommend it even though I have not read it yet.

I had dinner at a Chinese Restaurant in Brooklyn today. I went with my fiancée and two of her friends. I really enjoyed the time and it was nice to get away from my studies for a while.

I wanted to post a picture portraying Manhattan today. Silver cars selling everything from hot dogs to pretzels are very common in New York. I really like places like this because they usually offer food for a decent price. However, they can be pretty expensive at tourist locations so people better be careful. 

No comments: