Friday, June 13, 2008

Governors Island


I went to Governors Island today. I really didn’t know what to expect because I didn’t really look up information about the island. I have gone past it before by boat when I went to Staten Island so I have seen it in distance, and I have always wondered what’s on the island.

I actually didn’t get much wiser after my visit. I thought that there was going to be many visitors especially since the ferry service is free and because the island just opened about two weeks ago, but I was wrong. There weren’t many people at all but that was actually pretty comfortable since New York is very crowded and noisy.

The island was used as some sort of military camp before. There are some canons and old government buildings on the island and it’s quite interesting to see it. I was expecting much more though. I thought that there was going to be a big museum but I couldn’t find that so I don’t think they have it.

What’s really good is that they have a free bike event on Fridays. Everyone on the island can rent a bike for free for one hour. I didn’t do that but most people do. I preferred walking since I had my camera and took a lot of photographs.

What was bad about the island was that there is no big café or ice cream store, no food, and it’s a little empty. I think that it would be more fun if they had more events for kids and other people. All the houses for example are locked and people can’t enter the buildings.

What everyone is doing is just wandering around looking on everything, and that gets pretty boring after a while. The island offers a great view on Manhattan though. I like taking skyline pictures and I got a few good ones from the island. People can also see the Statue of Liberty.

When I arrived by boat to Manhattan again I went to Berkeley College to print my notes in marketing that I typed down yesterday. I took a few pictures of Times Square too. I felt like a tourist again actually but I don’t care what people think.

I’m very careful when I am out taking pictures though because I really get annoyed by tourists who walk in front of you and then just suddenly stops to take a picture and you almost crash right into them. Always before I’m going to take a picture I look behind me so that no one will bump into me.

I really understand New Yorkers when it comes to their opinion about tourists. New York is so popular right now, especially because of the low dollar and a lot of tourists just don’t think clearly sometimes. If people need to hurry to school or work for example, many tourists slow them down just because they walk really slowly.

It’s like this everywhere though but New York is crazy because there are so many people here.

No comments: