Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Governors Island


I found out today that Governors Island has opened. It’s a small island south of Manhattan and there is a free ferry service between the two islands. The weather is really beautiful right now so I think I will go there on Friday. I haven’t been out taking pictures in a long time so I am looking forward to it.

I have been thinking about what to give to my friends in Seattle for letting me stay there. I came up with a great idea a couple of days ago. I bought one of my teacher’s books, which is a collection of urban poems about New York City.

I look up to that teacher a lot because he doesn’t take things for granted. He loves the city and even though he has lived here for more than thirty years, he still sees the beautifulness of New York. He’s an amazing guy and knows everything there is to know about New York. He knows the dates, the places, and the people.

My professor’s name is Stephen Wolf and his book is called “I Speak of the City.” I really recommend you all to buy it. You can find it in any decent book store such as Barnes and Noble. So, back to what my idea was. I bought the book and later today I asked him if he would sign it with special wishes to my friends in Seattle.

He was happy to sign it for me and that made me feel really good. I’m not taking any of his classes anymore but we still talk to each other briefly when we meet. He’s just an amazing and inspiring guy, also a great story teller.

The weather is better today. It’s only 85 degrees, which is a huge difference compared to the last two days. It’s still pretty warm in my apartment though, but I’m running the air conditioner so it’s still comfortable here.

This weekend will be pretty busy for me. I have to do some studying for the final week and I have to find a new bag to use when I’m going to Seattle. I think I will go to Macy’s or a big shopping mall to find it. I’ve heard that Macy’s have a sale of some kind right now so I will check that out.

One thing that is good to know for tourists and other foreign students is that Macy’s offer a discount card for those visiting New York. They will simply remove the taxes from the price which will save you some money depending on how much you spend.

I think I will try that out actually. They won’t know if I’m a tourist or not. I will show them my passport and after that they will give me a discount card that will be valid for a few months I think.

It feels good that the school is over soon, like the time is just flying by. It will be nice with some vacation though and I think that the next quarter will be a little calmer than this one has been. I don’t have any math which is nice, and I only have four classes.

No comments: