Monday, July 19, 2010

Math


I am starting to like my operations management class. First of all, I was lucky in the selection of presentation dates and topic. I will go the week after the midterm with the topic of my choice. I choose supply chain design, which is something that I am involved with at work and find exceedingly interesting.
We also went over some mathematical problems and they were not very difficult. The professor focuses more on understanding the results of the calculations than doing the math, which I feel is very useful. That way, we can improve our abilities to analyze outcomes.
I believe that many math geniuses are great with calculations but lack the ability to study the results and to compare it with real time situations. I guess since I cannot compete with “Einsteins”, I prefer competing on the level of analysis.
I have a test in world civilization on Thursday. It has not been easy to prepare for it. I have typed down my notes but that is pretty much all. I study these notes on the train to and from work and hopefully that will be enough.
I also found it difficult to find good facts about the constitution of Sweden. Since the professor only wants to discuss the topic and does not require an actual paper, I will bring a printout from Wikipedia. This is something that students should avoid and always do since Wikipedia is full of inaccuracies. However, for Tuesday’s class, it was my best alternative.

No comments: