Thursday, July 8, 2010

50,000 Years of History

Teaching 50,000 years of history in eleven weeks is probably one of the most difficult tasks for professors. Nevertheless, this is something that my world civilization professor will have to accomplish. Yesterday’s class being his first at Berkeley College does not help him either.

It is always nerve racking to have a brand new professor because unlike established and experienced professors, they tend to be more focused on satisfying the board than doing their best on teaching students.

Night classes are scheduled ones a week from 6 PM to 9 PM. However, most professors only teach for about two hours because students start to be inattentive after focusing for so long. Yesterday’s class lasted until 9.05 PM. I was home around 10.30 PM, which was tough. In other words, I had to sit through three hours of listening to the origin of man and how Homo sapiens survived the ice age.

I actually liked it. The professor was able to make it entertaining by throwing in some jokes here and there and he definitely knows a lot about history. He started by drawing a timeline on the whiteboard that stretched fifty thousand years. This really helped students to get a perspective on what we are dealing with.

Other things that I found interesting were the discovery or invention of agriculture, when fire most likely was discovered, and how humans evolved throughout history. I have not really studied this before except for a short period in high school. Relearning it in college definitely helps to refresh my mind.

I also found it interesting for the fact that this class focuses more on America than I am used to. For example, we talked about how Indians survived before the domestication of horses. I am looking forward to learn more in this class.

No comments: