Sunday, January 3, 2010

Heat


I have been having problems in my apartment with heat lately. I have felt really cold but I was not sure whether it was because I did not move much or if it was because the landlord did not supply enough heat. Landlords being cheap with heat are a major problem in New York.

I bought a thermometer today so that I could get an understanding over the problem. It turned out to be 60 degrees Fahrenheit in my apartment, which responds to approximately 16 degrees Celsius. The legal limit in New York during winter time is 68 degrees.

I went down to complain to my landlord but he was not home. Instead, I talked to his son who came up here and said it felt more like 65 degrees. Easy for him to say who came from his apartment that holds approximately 75 degrees.

I showed him the thermometer and there was not much more that he could say. He did blame it on the windows though. I personally do not care what the problem is as long as they deal with it. I do not care if they turn up the heat or fix my windows; they still need to provide 68 degrees of heat.

The landlord came up later tonight and also he blamed it on the windows. He said he set the heat at 72 degrees so I can understand if he does not want to turn it up further. Instead, he should go ahead and fix my windows. I cannot stand being in an apartment this cold.

Like I said before, this is a major problem in New York. Providing heat is simply expensive for landlords and many buildings are not well isolated to preserve the heat, which leads to major inefficiencies. I hope that my landlord understands this. I was even wearing a hat inside earlier today because of the coldness.

Tomorrow will be my first workday for this year. It will be fun to get involved with work again but I do feel a little agonized about having to get up 7 AM in the morning again. I also have to go to school after work since I am taking night classes. I will probably be home around 10.30 PM at night so I will not have much spare time this quarter.

I was able to borrow two books from my friends but I still have to buy two more books. I hope that they are not expensive because I am not in the mood to spend a great deal of money on books right now. I went out to buy a new notebook and a weekly planner today though. That will hopefully be everything I need for this quarter.

No comments: