Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Assignments


I turned in my assignment for my business strategy class yesterday. I felt good about the outcome and I do believe that my professor will enjoy reading it. However, I might have been too specific on some points and may have missed to talk about a few things.

My professor will not grade these assignments. Instead, he will give students suggestions and provide modifications to the assignment. In the end, student will have to put all assignments together so that it forms one big paper. This final project will then be graded. I feel that it is a great way of teaching students.

Our next assignment is due next week. It will be a lot to do because we will have to execute Porter’s Five Forces Model. This involves major research and intense industry analysis. Berkeley College provides its students with several databases that are extremely useful. These databases include Hoover’s, Lexus Nexus, and ProQuest.

Databases like these contain articles, journals, and other data that is useful when writing a paper. Freshmen usually do not use these kinds of sources but they should. Now, at the end of my bachelor’s degree, I can really see how valuable they are because they are a big part of my bibliography.

I had to pick up my girlfriend at the airport yesterday. She had a lot of bags so I really did not want to take the train home. The ground transportation service gave me a few coupons for private cab companies so I used one of those. It is cheaper to go to Manhattan than going to my place in Brooklyn, which is a bit silly.

I ended up paying $50 including tip so it was not that bad. However, I just checked my bank statement and it looks like they charged me $75. I need to look this up later today. It seems like companies like these always try to scam you in some way and I hate that.

I will have a lot to do this weekend. I have to finish two take-home tests and prepare for a third one for next Thursday. I also have to complete my Porter’s Five Forces analysis, which is a major part of the final project. In addition, I have to dig up some facts about Six Flags for a future group presentation that I have.

I hope to be able to finish all this in one day. This could happen if I really study intensely for the whole day but it will be challenging. The reason I want to wrap it up so quickly is because I want to enjoy the other two days of the weekend. For example, I want to go out to eat in Manhattan somewhere without having to think about school.

No comments: