Thursday, January 21, 2010

Dress Codes


I noticed that dress codes in school and at work are hot topics. All schools are different and the same goes for businesses. Berkeley College has no requirements in regards to dress codes. People show up in all kinds of outfits. In the evening there are noticeably more people in suit than during the day. The obvious reason for this is that people who work usually take evening classes and they have to dress up for work.

Many of my friends do not have to dress up for their internship. They work in offices where they are not in much contact with customers and key people. I have to dress up for my internship and I prefer doing so. I like wearing a suit in school and at work. People in general also respect well dressed people more than persons who dress very casual.

I would actually argue that showing up well dressed in school can help students maintain a good GPA because professors take them more seriously. I noticed the difference when I listened to presentations where students were well dress. Although some of the students had terrible material, they still seemed more professional than other students who dressed casual.

Many businesses also have “business casual days.” These days usually occur on days before Christmas or similar. It is a way for companies to reward or make employees feel more comfortable in their business environments. I experienced this last Christmas at my internship. Business casual still means that people have to dress up but that they, for example, can skip the tie, wear a sweater, or wear a polo shirt instead of a dress shirt. I am not getting into dress codes for women because I do not know much about it. I do not mean to discriminate anyone.

Most students I have talked to prefer wearing comfortable clothes. Some even show up in sweatpants or similar. I would never wear that in school but if I do not work before classes, I usually wear jeans and a shirt or something like that.

Next week will be the fourth week this quarter at Berkeley College. Registration for the next quarter will therefore start on Monday that week. I will try to register as soon as possible, and I am actually thinking about registering by email this time. I have never tried that before but since I do not spend much time on campus, it would be the most convenient method for me.

I have not decided what classes to take yet. I do know that I will take a lot of electives though because I have almost taken all of my required courses. I will probably take evening classes again because I want to work in the day time. A lot also depends on the schedule that is set up by Berkeley College. I will simply have to examine what classes that will fit my schedule.

No comments: