Wednesday, January 6, 2010

First Week


The last two days have been very intense. I have, fortunately, been busy at work but school is off to a relatively slow start. Work has been busy thanks to the end of the 2009 fiscal year. Reports have to be updated and I personally feel that it is exceedingly interesting to see the year end results.

My marketing logistics class is great. We went over the topics that we will discuss in the next eleven weeks and much of it concerns what I am working with at my internship. I, therefore, put great value to this class. Topics include third-party logistics, RFQs, import, export, and much more.

The class that I probably look most forward to start working with is business strategy and policy. In this class, we will be preparing a 60 page report through realistic work activities. We will actually be working with what real business strategists do, which include in-depth analysis of companies and preparation of reports.

It will be an extremely busy class with weekly assignments to turn in. My professor is one of the best professors I have ever had. He is very serious about his work but presents material in a relaxed and business casual way. In other words, he makes me laugh many times while still maintaining quality and excellence of material.

I will have to come up with a company to analysis for this class. I have a few clues and I will try to be smart in my choice since I will have to stick with this company until the end of the quarter. The final report will also be a great tool to give to employers and other key people who may be interested in working with you.

I might actually try to connect my report to what I do at work so that I possibly can provide my boss with valuable information. The professor expects reports that live up to MBA standards, which I believe is a great thing.

I had a class in organizational behavior yesterday. My professor did not show up but he sent a substitute teacher to provide us with the syllabus and assignments. I did not complain because I felt that after three days of work and evening classes, coming home two hours earlier felt pretty good.

I do hope that my professor takes this class seriously though, and I definitely do not want to see him skip any more classes. I am paying for this education, and I will only have twelve classes this quarter for each class since they only take place ones a week.

I will have to work in a group for this class, which I feel concerned about. I would rather work with something individually this quarter since I have a busy schedule. In addition, synchronizing with the group and making sure everyone is contributing with his or her part takes time and effort. I hope that my group members are taking the class seriously and that we will be able to cooperate without any major setbacks.

No comments: