Monday, February 2, 2009

MTA Adjudication Bureau


I went to the Transit Adjudication Bureau today to have a hearing. I did not want to feel optimistic of having the ticket terminated but I have to admit that I felt hopeful.

I had finance this morning and it was, like always, very interesting. We are talking about the risk return tradeoff right now. This chapter covers securities and some calculations. I always told people that the only thing that I felt was missing at Berkeley College were a class covering securities and how to invest.

I will have to take that back now because Finance 300 covers everything I was looking for and more. The professor is, like I have said before, very experienced and interesting to listen to. He has a good sense of humor too but is at the same time serious about the subject.

I went to the Transit Adjudication Bureau after the class. I had to wait about an hour before they let me in. I was prepared for that though so I was not very surprised. I told the interviewer exactly what happened and added a few remarks of me being a good student and an honest guy.

I was asked to sit down for 20 minutes after the hearing to wait for a decision to be made. I was called after approximately one hour. The MTA decided, ones again, to deny me any reduction of the ticket and stands by their decision of giving me a $100 fine.

It really upsets me to be honest. There is nothing that I can do but to pay the charge and it is just sad that they give tickets to honest hard working people. I decided to not have it ruin my day so I went home and tried to study a little.

This zero-tolerance policy has been really good for New York. Crime rates have been dropping significantly and I really believe it has made a huge impact on reducing crimes in the city. However, it is time to find a new strategy because from what I see, people are getting more and more upset about rude police officers that strictly refuses to discuss the situation with them.

I actually think they are trying a new strategy somewhere in New York. I believe I read about it in The Economist. I hope that it will be a success because I cannot afford getting more tickets.

I will hopefully get Internet for my apartment in two days. I have the modem plugged in and I am waiting for the DSL light to become steady green. Right now it is blinking, indicating that there is no connection.

The technical support told me that they might fix it before the 4th so I am really hopeful in getting it tomorrow. The blog is missing a few pictures and I really need to do some homework from home. Having no Internet is hard for a student.

I admit that I can go to Starbucks or any other restaurant to find Internet. I just do not really like bringing all my stuff there and squeeze in somewhere. I also have my IPhone so I can still go online to check my email and do small things like that. I can also get Internet at Berkeley, of course.

No comments: