Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Finance Test


I got back my finance test today and I am somewhat dissatisfied with it. I got A-/B+, which is not too bad but it is the way it was graded that made me feel disappointed.

We had to prepare an income statement and a balance sheet, which I did. For the next question you had to calculate six ratios based on the numbers you got from the income statement and balance sheet.

This meant that if you got the statements wrong or did a simple mistake in adding or subtracting the numbers, you would mess up the ratios too. I did just that. My mistake was a simple miscalculation on the balance sheet. I subtracted a number and wrote the wrong number on the next line.

I got three ratios wrong because of this even though I used the right format and calculations for the ratios. That is, I knew how to calculate the ratios and what to divide but I did not get it right since I used the numbers from the balance sheet that I had miscalculated.

I asked the professor if he could grant me credits for the ratios because I divided the right numbers. For example, I divided current assets with the current liabilities for the current ratio and did all the other ones right too.

He did not give me any credits for it though because his idea of it was that the numbers were wrong and therefore I was wrong. I can understand a small part of that but I definitely do not believe it is good way of testing students.

I believe that I proved to him that I know how the ratios are working because I calculated them right. It does not really matter what numbers I put in there as long as they are the ones from the right category.

I am still on my way to an A in finance though but I will probably have to work a little harder for the final. I will also have to start to work on the term paper because I want to do excellent work on that.

I went to have a beer with my friend after class today. We went to his place, which offers a magnificent view of downtown Manhattan. It was very interesting because we could see a snowstorm approaching from there and how it got closer and closer to us.

His apartment is on the 54th floor so it was interesting to see the weather change like that while watching from such a viewpoint. I only have one more day in school this week and will be nice with another weekend.

I took today’s picture at Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn. I just wanted a picture on the traffic and all the lights that you see in the city. I took this one with my IPhone so the quality is not top class. 

No comments: