Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Waterfalls


I have gotten back into my old routines and life here in New York now. I shopped some groceries yesterday and took a walk around my neighborhood.

I found out today that the waterfalls in New York are complete and that they are all running. I decided to go and check it out today and my idea was first to cross Manhattan Bridge but I walked a lot more than that.

Manhattan Bridge offers a great view on Manhattan and not many people cross it. The weather was really hot today and the weather was very clear so I was able to take a few good shots.

After I had crossed Manhattan Bridge I started walking west towards Brooklyn Bridge. I was not very familiar with the area but I didn’t really care about where I would end up. After a twenty minute walk I found myself at Brooklyn Bridge and there were a lot of people there.

I didn’t really cross it actually because I didn’t want to take the train from Brooklyn so I stopped half way and turned around to walk back to Manhattan. The view is great and you can see two waterfalls from there. There is one close to the Manhattan Bridge and a second one at Governors Island.

I really recommend people to bring at least one bottle of water when they take walks in New York. The weather is usually really warm during the summer and the traffic doesn’t make it better.

I also walked to the financial district in South Manhattan and visited Ground Zero. I have been there numerous times but there is actually development going on there now. The base is being built and I believe that people soon will be able to see the new tower take shape.

I had a double whopper at Burger King, which by the way is my favorite and after that I took the train back home to Brooklyn.

I really feel that my one week vacation in Seattle was good for me. I really needed to get away from New York for some time and get some rest from the big city. I almost stopped to appreciate the city life but now when I am back I really love New York again.

Fourth of July is coming up soon. I will go to Nathan’s eating competition in Coney Island. There will probably be a lot of people but I have always wanted to see that competition so I am looking forward to it.

After that, I will probably go to Brooklyn Heights or Roosevelt Island to watch the fireworks. I will tell you more about it after the celebration.

No comments: