Sunday, July 20, 2008

Chinatown


Chinatown is a very fascinating neighborhood. There are several in New York actually, which are located in Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Queens.

The biggest Chinatown is the one in Queens but I have actually never been there. The most famous one is obviously the one in Manhattan and most people think that that one is the only one.

I live fairly close to the one in Brooklyn and I go there with my fiancée sometimes to buy groceries. It’s a little weird actually because you don’t have to pay tax on most stuff you buy there. However, I very much prefer not paying taxes.

My fiancée and I went to Chinatown today and bought a lot of food. She wanted to cook me something Chinese and she knows that I really like that.

The grocery store we went to is very Chinese and almost everyone shopping there is from Asia. What I really like about the store is that they have a lot of seafood and they don’t only have frozen seafood.

They have all kinds of animals in there and most of them are alive. They have crabs, fishes, turtles, toads, and much more.

We bought living crabs today and that was a little scary. We wanted to try something new and they were really cheap. We got six crabs for less than four dollars and we couldn’t wait to put them in boiled water.

They were pretty aggressive actually and they tried to grab us all the time. It was really nice to see them turn red after we dropped them into the boiling water. I think they die instantly but it must be a very painful death for them.

They tasted great though and we also had some spareribs, rice, cabbage, and shrimps. My fiancée and I really like spicy food so we made it extra spicy. We will definitely cook this again.

We really like cooking and it’s really nice to eat seafood together because it takes a while to eat it.

It’s really hot in New York right now. It’s about 95 degrees and we are running our air conditioner all the time. I am really looking forward to the fall because it’s not too cold and not too warm.

I have to do my homework tonight. We didn’t go to watch the batman movie but we will definitely go to see it in a few days. We just want to wait a little so that the theater won’t be too crowded.

No comments: