Monday, July 28, 2008

Studying Abroad


Many people who are interested in studying abroad wonder if their language skills are enough and if the school simply will be too hard for them.

I felt the same thing before I applied to Berkeley College so I will talk a little about that. When it comes to English, it is simply easier to understand it than speaking it. My greatest fear before I came to New York was that I wouldn’t understand the teachers.

I was surprised about how good Berkeley College treats international students. They have an international division that will help you with anything you need. They are very used to international students since there are so many non Americans there.

I arrived in New York just a few days before my classes started. The first two weeks was therefore a little nervous for me. I was surprised how easy it was to understand the teachers though. Everyone is very professional.

After the two weeks, everything felt a lot easier. You will stop thinking about that English is your second language and everything will feel very natural.

New York is a great city in that matter because it suits everyone whether you are Chinese or Swedish. It is very easy to get around and there is something for everyone.

Many people also feel that the school might be too hard for them. I was positively surprised when I found out how easily it is to get used to the Berkeley College system and how helpful everyone is.

As long as people are not afraid of asking, I am sure they will be fine. It takes a lot of mental preparation before people apply to a college abroad. I had been preparing myself mentally for years because I have always wanted to come to the States to study.

If everything feels right, I recommend that you just do it. There will be some difficulties and you might have some language problems in the beginning but they are just tiny problems.

You will improve your English and your knowledge, and Berkeley College will help you to accomplish whatever you want to accomplish. It is up to you to take that extra step though.

If you have any questions, you are free to ask me about anything.

1 comment:

Caroline Bawedin said...

Wow thanks,this post is really helpful.Were you already thinking about studying abroad when you were 15? Because I'm a teenager and I'm thinking of it.I understand all the posts on your blog and I write my own blog in English.I can't live without this language.I'm gonna take some courses with adults in September to get an English diploma,I can't wait!