Wednesday, December 10, 2008

How To Study For Your Finals


Now that most students in the United States are preparing for their finals, I was thinking that I could talk a little about how to best prepare for it.

I have four finals to prepare for this quarter and three of them are on the same day. I have never had that many finals packed into one day but I still feel confident about getting a good score on all of them.

The key to pass with a good grade is to start studying in time. I usually start about a week before but the first stay is just small preparations. I think that it is important to type down your notes in word or some other similar program.

While doing this you should also have the book next to you and, if you have to, add missing information from your notes. By doing this, people will get a great outline and an easier sheet to study.

If people do this about a week before the finals take place, they will also get a great review that makes it easier to remember things on the day of the test. I do this all the time and it really helps me.

I have about 45 minutes with train to school and this is a great time for me to review and study the material needed. This is a total of 90 minutes (to and from school) that I will study for the test. Since I do this, I also do not have to study much at home.

I have a lot of free time because I plan my studying this way. A very important step in studying is to take breaks, which I get by studying on the train and come home and relax a bit before starting again.

90 minutes every day is 7.5 hours a week. How much time people need for preparation to a test differs but for me, it is definitely enough. Since you might have three tests the same day, like me, you will need to study more than that though.

Many people also do the mistake that they think of something else while reading their material. After reading all the pages they simply cannot remember it because their minds were somewhere else. It is very important that they focus on the notes and after reading a paragraph ask themselves: “what was it about?”

I constantly ask myself what I am reading and ask myself questions while reading. I do not only do this while preparing for a test, but also when reading magazines such as The Economist. It is a fact that I learn more that way.

I hope this gives people a basic understanding and idea of how to study. This might not work for everybody but it will definitely help most of you. 

No comments: