Saturday, May 3, 2008

Macy's


Yesterday was a great day for me! I did my marketing assignment and my accounting homework. The only thing I have to do now is to study my notes for my marketing quiz on Monday and to read the short story one more time. I’m thinking about looking over my accounting too since I have a midterm on that on Thursday.

The marketing assignment took more than two hours to do but it was interesting. I feel that I already know a lot about business. Maybe it’s because my parents are both great businessmen. It feels a little as though I have the whole business concept in my blood.

I’m going to Macy’s today with my girlfriend. She wants to look up some clothes and jewelry. It will be fun to get out a little. As I’ve mentioned before, this weekend will be spent mostly inside since I have to study. I will also bring my marketing notes on the train to read them there, and to not make my girlfriend bored I’ll let her test me on my notes.

My girlfriend and I went out shopping groceries yesterday. We have this giant blue cart we bring with us when we need to shop a lot. The supermarket is about twenty minutes away by subway so it’s very convenient to bring it.

I think that most people using carts like that are seniors but I’m so sick of walking around with extremely heavy shopping bags. We bought four packs of Pepsi, which all have twelve bottles in them. The first time we bought that we carried it from the store, on the subway, and back home. It was too heavy.

I’ve sent a lot of packages to Sweden lately. My mother will receive something and so will my grandfather. Many people wonder how much it costs to ship packages internationally. I can only speak for Sweden though. To send an average sized package, let’s say it’s about 50x50cm and 20cm deep. I give you cm since I suppose that most people reading my blog are outside the U.S. Anyway, that would cost about $20.

This is, however, without insurance and with an estimate deliver time of ten days. I always pick that one though since it’s the cheapest one and I have never experienced a problem with it. Some people say that the U.S. Postal Service is not reliable. I don’t agree with that since I only have had good experiences. What are fairly bad though are the post offices.

It’s better in Manhattan than in Brooklyn but some offices there are also pretty slow. The lines are always pretty long and you’ll have to wait about half an hour every time you want to ship something. We had the same problem in Sweden a couple of years ago but they changed the system so that you could do your postal errands at local supermarkets.

This really improved the system. I’m not sure it would work in New York but maybe it would. Anyway, that’s the only thing I have to complain about when it comes to the postal service. I don’t like to complain, and I won’t as long as my packages continue to arrive at its destinations in time.

No comments: