Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Internships


I feel that I have become really engaged in my internship the last days. The first days are always interesting because everything is new and people do not really know what they are up against. I am extremely satisfied with the people I am working with and I have a great feeling about this company.

I am not taking this internship for credits. All students at Berkeley College have to do an internship in their last quarter. It is worth five credits, which is quite significant. Most students only do this one internship and they hope that things are going to kick of when they graduate.

However, I feel that it is of great importance for people to get engaged in business they are interested in as soon as they can. One internship is often not enough to be competitive, especially not during recession times since more highly qualified people are out looking for jobs.

It is not only important because of the job opportunities itself. Although students may think they know what they want to do, many change their minds after getting some real work experience. Doing many internships help students find a particular industry and it guides them to find something they would really like to work with in the future.

I feel that I have found an industry that I really like. It involves international business, communication, and analyses. It is a business I can see myself working in after college and I feel that a can grow in this industry. There are also great MBA programs that can prepare me even further for work in this industry.

Today was a busy day. I had to go to work for some briefing and to do some research. One thing I really like with my internship is that they let me do real work. In the evening, I had to finish a report for my management simulation class, and one midterm take-home exam in ethics. I am happy with the papers so far and I think I will do well.

A few days ago I noticed that a Chinese restaurant in our neighborhood had started to serve Mexican food. These kinds of restaurants are pretty common in Brooklyn but since after I moved, I have not been close to a restaurant like that. They usually have 99c burritos, tortillas, and nachos with steak, beef, chicken, beans, and much more.

It is very yummy and since I eat a lot of Chinese food because of the many restaurants here, it is nice to have one more option to choose from when going out to eat or ordering take-out. I cannot believe how they can make profits actually. One meal is usually less than $5 and they are incredibly generous with the food. They also give people free sodas and soups on the lunch-hours. Profits or not, it certainly is delicious.

No comments: