Thursday, August 6, 2009

Higher Profits


I successfully increased my profits in my management simulation today. I finally identified the problem, which was caused by using the wrong labor. What I had done was that I hired a lot of service advisors instead of finding people who could do specific jobs, which the service advisor also could do.

The service advisors were expensive in labor so I fired three of them and hired a porter and two warranty clerks instead. This really brought my costs down and I increased my profits by 300%. I feel now that I am really getting a grip of it. I only have one more class until this part of the class ends and then I have two days to write a report.

The next simulation has to do with a pharmaceutical company but I do not know the details yet. I have learned a lot from the first simulation so I am looking forward to try the next one. I will hopefully start of better with that one but there is a chance I will not because positions, tactics, and labor will all be completely different than the first one.

I had a review for my midterm in ethics today. I do not think it will be very hard because I feel that I know most of the things we have covered in class. The midterm will be a multiple-choice test and I think I should be able to figure everything out. At least, I have the whole weekend to study for it.

I will try to start planning for my project in international trade this weekend. I organized my team and we will get together next Tuesday to talk about our project. I will put everything together after I have listened to their ideas and collected their papers.

I am still waiting for my project in professional selling to be graded. The professor is waiting to the last day before grading them because he wants all of them uploaded so that he can compare each one of them. I still feel I did well and I believe I came up with strong arguments and ideas.

I have really been in the mood to buy a few Ralph Lauren polo shirts lately. I found a website that only charged approximately $100 for five shirts, which really surprised me. However, I got suspicious even though the website looked legit. I Googled a little and soon found out their shirts were fake. I think a lot of people purchase shirts from there but I am glad I did not.

The Swedish krona has strengthened against the dollar lately. A dollar bought 7.8 kronor a few weeks ago but the number has come down to 7.1 now. This is quite a fall for the dollar and it has a huge impact when transferring money from Sweden. I expect the dollar to weaken further but it is, of course, hard to tell whether it will happen or not.

No comments: