Monday, September 14, 2009

Niagara Falls


I am on the bus to New York, on my way home from Niagara Falls right now. The trip has been very exciting and seeing the falls was a wonderful experience. The tour has been quite stressful because the schedule has been pretty packed. Sitting on the bus for a total of 13 hours has also been quite agonizing.

On our first day, the bus took us to Thousand Islands. The bus left at 8 AM in the morning and we arrived well in time for the departure. The bus stopped a couple of times so that people could go to the restroom and also so they could get something to eat.

We arrived to Thousand Islands at 4 PM after seven hours of driving. I did not really know what to expect before arriving there but now afterwards, I must say that I feel quite disappointed. Thousand Islands really is not much more than a small town with a few islands and with a lot of wasps.

I paid for a boat tour that lasted for about one hour. It was fun to travel by sea for about thirty minutes and then it got quite boring. I would rather stay in the small town and have a drink than taking the tour.

After the tour, the bus headed for a Chinese buffet restaurant. For $14 people could eat as much as they wanted until the bus left an hour later. The buffet included everything from salmon to Korean. I had a lot to eat including fried fish, potatoes, noodles, fried rice, Chinese chicken, biscuits and ice cream for dessert.

After dinner, we headed towards Niagara Falls. We arrived at around 10.30 PM and I was looking forward to see the falls at night. With Canada in the background, the view was absolutely fantastic. The falls were lit up with huge spotlights, which made everything look beautiful.

I was surprised of how wet I got. It literally feels like being in the middle of a storm when you are close to the falls. It gets both windy and wet. The tour guide stressed us a little and wanted to leave after only 30 minutes, which was a little frustrating. However, I felt a little tired too and I knew we would come back the next day.

I thought the hotel, which was included in the package, was going to be pretty poor. I expected pink walls and flower patterned sheets but I turned out to be wrong. The hotel was absolutely terrific and had actually just been built. Everything was very clean, the room was big, and it was very quiet.

We got up early the next day. The falls definitely looked different in the day and it was obviously much easier to see the falls. I took some great pictures there that I am really happy with. We also took the “Maid of the Mist” boat tour, which takes people extremely close to the falls. That was a fantastic experience and extremely fun. Everyone who goes to Niagara Falls should take that tour.

This trip has been exceedingly fun and exiting. It was definitely worth taking the bus even though I have spent so many hours on it. Right now, I am looking forward to come home and sleep in my own bed.

No comments: