Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Affirmative Action


I got back my test in my management simulation class today. I scored a 100 out of a 100 so I feel very good about it. The simulation itself is turning around for my team. I increased profits significantly the first period but since after that period, profits have been decreasing.

This has been very worrying and I have felt very lost lately. However, in today’s class my teammate and I successfully turned decreasing profits into increasing profits. Net income went up a lot and it feels like we are on the right track. Our stock price also went up significantly. If we successfully increase profits next period, we will earn five extra credits for the class so we will really try to do our best next class.

I also had a presentation today. I was honestly not very well prepared but I believe the presentation turned out well. One of my team members did not show up. He apparently overslept and asked me after school through a text message if he could make up for it. Fortunately, the professor does not allow make-ups. I do not feel any sympathy towards him because it is not the first time he missed class.

The professor liked our presentation. He had a few comments regarding the marketing of the product. I wanted to market it to young adults but he preferred marketing it to seniors or to keep it neutral. I told me I did not have to change it since it is an opinion-based decision.

We talked about business ethics in my ethics class today. The main topic was affirmative action, which I feel strongly against. I definitely do not believe the government should regulate who should be hired or promoted. I feel that it is counterproductive and devalues workers’ accomplishments.

My theory is that diversity is good and it leads to greater business practices. I feel that affirmative action is unnecessary because great businesses will understand that diversity leads to greater profits and the ones who do not will fail. The most qualified people should be hired and there should be no quota.

I went to shop some cloths at Old Navy today. They actually had a Labor Day sale yesterday but I never bought anything. The prices were the same today though so I did not make a bad deal. I bought a pair of shorts, pants, and a polo shirt. Everything only cost $40 so I feel happy about the purchase.

This is the last week of school before the final week. It feels like time has gone extremely fast the last month. I definitely have to hurry up with the simulation in my management class because I want to finish it before writing the report. Other than that, I only have one final, which is in ethics. It should not be too much of an issue.

No comments: