Wednesday, July 1, 2009

An Exploding Tire!


My trip to Washington DC has come to a start and there have been a few surprises on the road already. It was tough to get up this morning at 4 AM but I managed to get my things together and leave on time.

I am currently stranded on the highway waiting for someone to fix a tire that exploded a few minutes ago. I am glad the bus did not crash or flip over. I am starting to question the safety on the Chinatown buses but at least it is cheap.

There was also another incident this morning when we had just left New York City and were driving through the New Jersey turnpike. The driver apparently got too close to the wall and lost one of his rear view mirrors.

The state police was very helpful and instructed us to stay in the bus. The reason we cannot leave the bus is because if another car gets a flat tire, it might spin out of control and kill someone. That is actually exactly how the state trooper put it. He also signaled to other cars so that no one would hit us from behind. I believe I have about another three hours to Washington DC but the trip has been pretty exciting so far.

This bus will also make a quick stop in Philadelphia, which I am looking forward to. I have never been there so it will be interesting to see what it looks like. I want to go there some day to visit Hershey Park, which is said to be a fun place.

I have plans to go to Georgetown in Washington DC today and I will also visit Pentagon and the Arlington cemetery if I have time. I am very curious about the hotel that I am staying at because it was actually picked out randomly by the travel website I used. It looks very nice on the pictures and it is supposed to be a 3.5 star hotel. However, some websites have marked it as a 4 star hotel so I am sure I will be satisfied with the service.

I am looking in the rear view mirror right now, watching the repairman fix our tire. It can be an extremely dangerous job especially on the highway since the cars are passing by really close to the bus.

I think I might be pretty lucky with the weather in Washington DC. It has been forecasted to be sunny all days except today and the temperature will stay around 85F. It would be wonderful if the forecast turns out to be true. The weather on my trip to Boston was basically cloudy every day and it can have a depressing effect on you sometimes.

The tire has been changed now and we will be moving shortly. I am finally getting closer to Washington DC again. I have great expectations from this trip and I am certain that I will have a great time there, especially on the Fourth of July.

No comments: