Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Thunderstorm


I went to Manhattan today to get some sushi. I picked the worst time to do so though because the rain was pouring down. I actually do not think I have ever seen that much rain at the same time. The streets flooded in a couple of minutes and it felt like standing underneath a waterfall. It was very hot outside so the rain was quite warm. However, I started to get very cold when I got on the train because of the air-conditioning.

I hope I will not get sick. I do not get sick much at all actually, which I am happy about. I have had a small headache almost every day this week because of the weather. It has been thunder and high humidity for a while now and it is quite exhausting.

I was hoping I could finish my professional selling project today but I did not have the time to do so. I basically work three days a week because of my internship and I have to do a lot of research right now. However, I worked on my selling project this evening and I am getting pretty close to finishing it.

I made some ice cream today with my new ice-cream machine. It is working really well and the ice cream has so far been delicious. I tried to put Oreo cookies in the ice cream today and that is definitely something I will do again because it tasted great.

I felt my partner and I did pretty well in the management simulation program. However, I compared our results with a few other students and saw that a few students’ profits were much higher than ours. It has really confused me because I cannot find any way to reduce costs anymore. I am really trying to analyze the financial statements and other indicators but I guess I am missing something.

I will try to go over it one more time tonight. Our class will restart the simulation in tomorrow’s class because our professor wants us to try a second time now that we know how it works. I am a little nervous that I will not come up with better numbers, but I will discuss the situation with my partner tomorrow and I hope she has a few good ideas.

I do admit that I did not spend enough time on this class. It started off pretty slowly and I thought I would be able to handle it pretty well. I actually think that if the professor would let us run the business for a few more periods, I would be able to increase the profit significantly because I have made decisions that will affect my company in the long-term rather than in the short-run.

What I hope is that the students who have made huge profits so far has done it to the expense of the long-term profitability of their firms. Maybe their businesses will bankrupt in the future because of severe cut downs and layoffs. It will be a few more weeks before I know if that is the case.

No comments: