Thursday, July 9, 2009

A New Quarter


The first week in school has started and I am already getting busy. I am guessing that this will be a very eventful semester and I will definitely be more occupied than last quarter.

My first class every morning is management simulation. We have not really gotten started yet but students are all set for next week. We will use a computer application for this class and it will basically teach us how to run a business efficiently.

I have been looking forward to this class for a long time and I have great expectations. We have all been divided into teams of two and I have found a trustworthy partner to work with.

Our first task will be to take over a car dealership. Responsibilities include to manage inventory, open up new markets, and to find a profitable location for the firm. This program was actually designed for Toyota at first but has now been customized for students. It is close to reality but of course not as complex.

I was expecting to have the same professor in international trade as I had in international business and economics. I have gotten familiar with him and I see him as an excellent professor. However, there was a change in the schedule and I now have another professor.

I honestly must say that I felt skeptic about the new professor. I was prepared for a different kind of lecture and I now had to get used to something I was not prepared for. However, it turned out to be an easy transition.

I am so far very happy about my international trade professor. He is extremely experienced and he has done business in many countries. We will have quizzes almost every week, which might feel intense in the beginning but I believe I will quickly get used to it.

My last class is ethics. I am very pleased with my professor so far and he is encouraging student discussion in a very generous fashion. It is extremely interesting to talk about different ethical dilemmas and the examples he gives can be quite contradicting.

I also have one online class in professional selling. It has so far been a lot of work actually. Class discussion takes place online in a forum on Berkeley College’s online blackboard. It works extremely well and my professor has so far been very active in responding and posting assignments.

I have a lot of reading to do this quarter but I am looking forward to it. This will presumably be one of my busiest quarters even though I will only be in school for two days a week. However, I was the one picking this quarter’s classes and I did so because I am interested in the topics and I honestly think it will be fun.

No comments: