Friday, November 14, 2008

Tip


I got a very good lesson today that tipping is very important in New York. My fiancée and I went to a Chinese restaurant in our neighborhood to pre-celebrate my birthday. My fiancée told me that you will not have to tip them because Chinese people never do that, which I am sure is true in China.

After paying the check, we started to walk home. The waitress came running at us just soon after that and claimed that I forgot to give them a tip. It was pretty awkward and I will definitely not go there again.

This shows how important it is to tip in New York. Personally, I hate tipping but I always tip, especially at restaurants, to cab drivers, and at hair salons. Tipping in New York is extreme and I believe that it has gone too far, especially when people force you to give them tip.

Tip used to be given to show people that you think they gave you good service. Nowadays, it is something that you have to give, even though the service is terrible. I want to give waitresses tip, especially if they are good at their job, but I definitely do not want them to ask for it.

Some restaurants in New York have already included tip in the check. Places like Hard Rock Café for example, which is located in Times Square, have included tip in the price. I can understand why, since many tourists presumably forgets to tip.

The thing that disturbs me though, is that Hard Rock Café expects you to give them tip over the included tip. My basic point here is that it is just ridiculous how much you have to tip people these days.

In Sweden, we have to tip at restaurants but that is about it. In New York, you will have to tip almost everyone who offers you a service. I was surprised when I realized that you have to tip your hairdresser, which I find truly preposterous.

Tomorrow is my birthday so I will probably go out to eat that evening too. I think I want to go to Hard Rock Café actually but I will be careful with the tip.

I have three tests next week so I will have to study a little this weekend. One is a quiz in math, another one is a small test in consumer behavior, and the other one is a midterm in microeconomics.

I do not think I will have any problems with any of the tests but I will definitely review for it a couple of times. 

No comments: