Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Placement Seminar Class

I used to complain about the placement seminar class that I am taking this quarter. I was definitely not the only one being argumentative because it is a one credit class and the only thing the class talks about is preparation for interviews and employment. For example, it helps people to formulate cover letters, resumes, and thank you letters.

However, after seven weeks of formulating resumes and letters, I have realized that the class is quite useful. I purchased a book a year ago that showed samples of resumes and other letters so I have used it to prepare my material for the placement seminar class.

I thought what I came up with was good, but my professors have been able to provide suggestions that have improved my letters significantly. Ultimately, being able to formulate letters, not only professionally, but superiorly will help people to land the job, which they are applying for.

I am taking this class online and I am happy that I chose to do that. Taking it on campus would involve unnecessary lectures that would just waste my time. What we learn in this class can more easily be presented in documents, which can be distributed through blackboard and emails.

In addition, we also have weekly discussions concerning different topics. For example, students have to comment on why thank you letters are important and what people can do to differentiate themselves towards others.

The only thing that I want to complain about is the format of some documents. All students had to prepare letters from employer and fill out certain forms in regards to employment assistance and similar. The format of the documents was that of Microsoft Word and it was hard to type without interrupting the current format of the document.

For example, when people typed their name, the underline would move and the text would be disrupted. To fix this, people would have to erase certain lines and try to put everything together by themselves. It would be much better if the documents were Adobe Reader files or similar so that the document format would stay intact when typing. Other than that, this class has been a pleasant surprise.

No comments: