Monday, May 31, 2010

Las Vegas Day One


I went to Las Vegas this week and I am going to post my blogs retroactively so that everyone can get an insight in what I did and what I thought about it. In general, I had a blast and I definitely miss it now that I am back in New York.

The travelling from New York to Las Vegas went very smoothly, but it was quite painful at the same time. My flight was scheduled at 6.30 AM from JFK airport and I had to make a connecting flight in Phoenix.

With that said, I had to get up at around 3 AM to arrive at the airport on time for departure. Both my girlfriend and I were pretty tired but we were also excited so that helped us from falling asleep.

When arriving in Phoenix, we immediately felt the change of mentality and personality of people. It was less diverse and people seemed friendlier than in New York. We wanted to get to Las Vegas as soon as possible so I asked for standby tickets for an earlier flight. Luckily, we were able to get two seats.

We did not get seats next to each other but we were fine with that since the flight only lasted for about 45 minutes. Both my girlfriend and I got really good seats with a lot of space so we were definitely happy about being able to switch flight.

We arrived in Las Vegas about two hours earlier than expected, which was good because it would allow us to rest before getting started with our planned activities. We had booked a shuttle to the hotel and it took us about forty minutes to get there because we were dropped off last.

We had called the hotel a few days ago to request an upgrade, which we were told should be possible. However, when we got there, the staff told us that the hotel was fully booked and that we would have to stick with our original room. That was a disappointment but the room turned out okay anyway.

When we were done checking in and resting for a while, we went out for an orientation. We had planned to see a show but we got caught up checking out the strip and a few other locations so we never went to see it.

We also went to the Las Vegas Outlet Mall. It almost looks like a small village with several shops and we had a great time walking around there. We bought some cloths and other stuff that was on sale even though we probably would find it cheaper in New York since people have to pay tax on cloths in Las Vegas.

It stroke us how far it was between attractions in Las Vegas. In New York, people can easily travel from one attraction to another. In Las Vegas, people have to walk for hours to get from the south part of the strip to the north part of it.

We got back to our hotel at midnight after we had bought a 24-pack of water and some snacks for our planned road-trip the next day. The weather was exceedingly hot and up to 40 degrees Celsius and it gave us a headache many times because of lack of water.

No comments: