Monday, May 10, 2010

Midterms

I have a midterm today in bioethics. I am not certain of what to expect because I never had a test with this professor before. My fear is that she will ask many questions concerning the law because she is lawyer. The book also discusses several cases in regards to comas and patients’ right to die.


I definitely feel that bioethics is an interesting topic. I think I have learned everything that we discussed up until now so the test should be fine. However, if the professor starts to ask for dates and laws, I might run into trouble.

For example, we have been discussing laws in New York, Montana, Washington, and Oregon when talking about euthanasia. Although, I do know what laws are applied, I may find it difficult to name the case and remember the date of it. The same goes for the topic of abortion. Roe versus Wade is easy to remember but there are tens of other cases like this that I simply do not know the name or date of.

I posted a blog before describing the issue of comments. It seems like Blogger has been infected by spammers who continuously post comments on people’s blogs that contain links to other websites. This really upsets me but there is not much I can do about it.

I am supervising all comments now, which means that I have to give approval to the comments before it is posted. This is something that I do not like doing since it feels like censoring people’s opinion. However, I guarantee that all comments that do not contain any spam material will be posted.

There is some tension in New York these days since after the failed bomb attempt in Times Square. Actually, not many people talk about it and people seem to be taking it with ease. I have read some foreign articles describing the situation as if people live in fear but that is not true. As far as I know, people seem to be living their lives the same way as they did a month ago.

I go to Times Square pretty much every weekday when I go to school. I do not fear being blown up and it does not seem like anyone else does. I guess those people who are afraid of terrorist stay away from the Theater District.

I feel that the New York Police Department is doing a pretty good job in terms of preventing attacks. I heard on the news that about twelve terrorist attempts have been prevented since September 11 of 2001. I guess this is both good and bad news but at least it shows that intelligence agencies stay alert.

No comments: