Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Vague Questions


It has been a while since I posted a blog. The reason is a busy schedule, as usual. I had a test in new products development as previously discussed last week. I mentioned that it covered seven chapters and was particularly difficult but that I was not certain of how hard the professor would make it. I know now after taking it that it was very hard.

The professor had told students that it would be a short-answer test that would consist of definition and brief explanations of different models etcetera. This turned out to be incorrect. Most questions had to be thoroughly explained and most students therefore considered it to be in an essay format.

The professor had also told us that it would not be difficult. It was easy for him to say who actually made the test. These kinds of situations really bother me. If a test will be difficult, do not tell people that it is not. It just makes students unhappy.

I have not gotten back my test yet so I do not know what grade I will receive. Luckily, the test only responds to 10% of the grade so in theory students can get a zero on this test and still have a chance on getting an A. This is a calming way of thinking because I really do not think I will get a good score on this test.

I also finished a couple of assignment last weekend. One included an External Factor Evaluation Matrix. This was for my business strategy and policy class, which I really enjoy. This assignment is actually not due until next week but I wanted to finish it early so that I will have time to study for two upcoming tests.

I feel really happy with my assignments for this class. The analyzes are interesting to process and I learn a lot about the company that I chose. Methodologies include to read annual reports, SEC filings, secondary research, and to use databases that provide journals, articles, and such.

I also finished two quizzes for my organizational behavior class. This class is also interesting and we talk about major issues that can arise in a various amount of businesses. These issues include ethics, equality issues, and other diversity related concerns.

I think I did very well on the quizzes. Unlike, my new products development exams, these tests asked questions that were clear and well structured. I have never understood professors who try to trick students into failing exams. It simply does not make sense since all we want to do is to learn more.

No comments: