Monday, February 8, 2010

Huge Surprise

I got back my test in new products management last week. I have never gotten this surprised by a test result before. I was almost certain that I would get a B at most. Instead, I received 100 out of 100. It was of great relief to me and after I went over the test a second time and read the professor’s notes, I saw that I actually had a few good points here and there.

Before my professor handed the tests back, he asked what students thought about it. Ironically, most people who got an A, complained about the test, including me. The people, who I assumed scored lower, told the professor that the test was fair and that they felt prepared for it.

These people got very quite after the tests were handed out, which I thought was pretty hilarious. We have another test this week and I actually feel that it is a bit harder to prepare for because the chapters contain several different topics instead of a few big ones.

The only thing my professor told us students about the test was that it will be different and that we will make the tests ourselves. I, therefore, have no idea what he is planning to do. I have typed down my notes and key terms from the book so I hope to be able to learn as much as possible before Thursday when the test is taking place.

I also have a test in business strategy and policy. I typed my notes and added a few key ideas from the test book. I think I have a great study sheet but it will still be difficult to prepare for due to limited time. The test is tomorrow and I work that day as well as today.

I am actually planning to skip tonight’s class in marketing logistics so that I have more time to study for the test. Tonight’s class will not be particularly important and I think I can catch up by reading the textbook.

I also have a presentation on Wednesday. I have not and will not prepare very much for it. I feel confident about the topics and I have already created PowerPoint slides for my group. Instead, I will study as much as I can for my test in new products management. I hope to be able to remember everything that I typed down but it will definitely be challenging.

What is good about this class is that the professor is trying to teach us how to think like a marketer. In that way, students can score okay on the tests by just knowing marketing in general. Of course, there will be specific models to remember but as long as students know the broad use of it, they should be fine.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi - I saw your blog about your marketing professor teaching you to Think Like a Marketer. I wanted to let you know about Lauron Sonnier's new book called... Think Like a Marketer! I included the link - perhaps your professor would like to take a look at it. It would make a great practical marketing guide for your class! Let me know what you think.... emily@sonniermarketing.com


http://www.sonniermarketing.com/thinkbook/