Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Trip!

I finally booked my trip but I am not going to Miami. I realized that July 4th is during my break and I would love to celebrate it more than I did last year. I basically only saw the fireworks in New York that time.

Miami would be quite a gamble with the hurricane season going on right now. The weather would probably either be very rainy or extremely hot. Though I would want to go there sometime, I decided not to do it on this break.

Celebrating 4th of July in New York could be fun but I wanted to take advantage of the break. I decided to look up hotels in Washington DC and found an outstanding deal for a four night stay in a four star hotel.

It must be extraordinary to celebrate the national day in the capital of the United States, and I am really looking forward to it. There are so many museums, monuments, and buildings I want to visit.

I visited the career center at Berkeley College today. Understandably, students who need an internship for credits will be taken care of before other students. However, one company is looking for ten interns and I think I might have a shot.

I will update my resume and prepare a cover letter for the position. Berkeley College will actually help me to send it in. Berkeley College has an outstanding placement record so I have good hopes to find something for the next quarter.

There is a political party in Sweden called the “Pirate Party.” Their main objective is to legalize the downloading of movies, games, and other copyrighted material on the internet. They got a 7% share of the votes in the European Union election by Swedish voters, which to me was very surprising.

Personally, I feel that their proposal is ridiculous. It does not make sense to me to allow Swedish or European citizens to download copyrighted material for free on the Internet, which has been produced for millions of dollars by foreign companies. I will be strictly against it unless they can find a solution where developers get paid fairly for their work.

The reason I bring this up is because I have talked to a few students about this issue. Most Americans are surprised by the lunatic proposal and understandably against it. If I develop something, I do expect to get paid for it.

I am going out for lunch in an hour. There is a great Chinese buffet in Brooklyn that only charges $15. The food is of excellent quality and definitely worth the money. A lot of people go there to have crab legs but I prefer the spicy Chinese dishes.

No comments: