Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Trip?


I got a 90 out of 100 on my quiz in management. I am not perfectly happy with it but it is an A and that is after all, all I want. I have to turn in a take-home midterm in statistics tomorrow and I think I got everything right. I will double-check everything later this evening just to make sure I have not made any stupid mistakes.

I am trying to figure out what to do during the break. I have had plans to go to Miami but I am not sure anymore since my fiancée needs to study for a big upcoming test. An alternative would be Washington DC, which is closer to New York.

Finding an internship at a large corporation can be tough in today’s economy. There are plenty of small firms looking for extra help but large corporations are often not as flexible. I have experienced this lately, but I am trying to keep my hopes up.

As discussed in my management class, there is a pattern of people working in small companies to stay employed within different small firms through their career. I certainly do not believe that it would hurt with an internship in a small business but I am primarily trying to find an internship at a corporation.

One worrying factor is that students graduating now will earn less money than people graduating in better times. This was discussed in an article in the Wall Street Journal and I hope that the economy will be on its way to recover when I graduate.

Today in my international economics class we discussed President Obama’s plans to increase taxes. I personally believe that this will hurt the economy and I share this opinion with my professor and a few students.

It is going to be interesting to see what will happen within a year. I certainly do hope that the stimulus package will boost the economy enough but there is a risk that high inflation and taxes will damage the economy further.

I have been expecting the dollar to weaken lately. However, last week it strengthened quite a lot against the Swedish krona. It looks like the krona is recovering modestly today and I hope it will continue doing so. Maybe it is time for Sweden to adopt the euro?

It seems like many future students are worried about finding apartments in New York. I have talked to a few students who applied to campuses in New Jersey instead of New York because Berkeley College offers housing there.

The only thing I can recommend them to do is to go to craigslist.org and try to find something there. People who can afford a broker certainly has an advantage, and I would recommend everyone who can afford it to contact one.

New York is full of graffiti. It can be quite an experience to walk through some neighborhoods because of their colorful neighborhoods with all kinds of different graffiti. Some of it looks deteriorating, but I am sure a lot of it could be called art.

No comments: