Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Presentations

I have not written any blogs for a while. I have simply been too busy to write. Being my last quarter, I had hoped for courses that contained less assignments and more discussion. However, I misinterpreted that.

I have a bunch of term papers to finish before the end of the quarter and a couple of assignment due in a few weeks. I also need to make a presentation next week on designing supply chains.

Seven students held presentations last week. In my opinion, one of them was well executed. Most other students were clueless about their topics and were overly tense or nervous.

One student definitely knew his topic. However, the presentation was not to exceed five minutes, this guy kept going for at least fifteen. I really hope that the professor will keep the standards high and not lower the bar just because many students did badly.

Another thing that I am not too happy about is the fact that many students in my political science class are way too free-spoken. The professor many times stands passively observing or interrupts himself because he believes that students think the topic is uninteresting.

I think it is important that professors believe in their methods of teaching and do not become intimidated by some students’ inability to learn or stick to policies. For example, if a presentation is to be five minutes, students who do less than four or more than six should lose points.

The reason that I feel this way is because the reputation of the school will be shaped, not only based on students’ performance, but also by the quality of the education. It does not matter if 90% of students get Cs as long as the school is rated top class by agencies.

No comments: