Thursday, August 12, 2010

Students


I am happy with my world civilization class. The professor is trying vigorously to cover as much as possible about the history of man. We have been discussing the Roman and Greek Empire the last three weeks and are now learning about Vikings and events such as the Battle of Hastings.

A student recently complained that we had to do too much, while at the same time claiming that she wanted to learn as much as possible. After delaying the class for about twenty minutes, I spoke up and told her that this is college and to do well you have to work hard.

We have a quiz every week. Studying for them is not easy and it is important to take down as many notes as possible during class. However, by doing so, students learn a lot. The problem with this class is that it seems like most students hate history.

Another thing that bothered me about last week’s class was that students tried to delay the class by complaining about the workload. We ended up having no time to do the quiz so the professor assigned it as a take-home exam instead. In other words, I studied my brains out for the week and now everyone would score a hundred.

This really frustrated me. The professor also agreed to narrow down the material since some students thought it was too much. I will therefore not learn as much as before. I am going to bring this up next class. I have gotten As on all exams so far so the tests are obviously not too difficult. Students who cannot get As do not deserve them.

Some students have no respect for the professor. I am not only referring to the recent complaints. Two weeks ago, a student yelled out, “Professor, you are blocking us!” because he was covering the projector when answering a student’s question. The professor’s response was excellent. He said, “I believe you meant to say, Excuse me.”

No comments: