Monday, August 30, 2010

Bugs

The number one advantage of having a cat as a pet is that it catches bugs. I found a dead roach when I woke up yesterday morning. It was probably a German roach because it was relatively big in size. It was the first time I saw a roach in my apartment and I found it quite disturbing.

I really hope that it came in through the window or similar because usually when you find one roach, it means that there are more. In any event, I am glad that my cat killed it. I am going to buy something called Combat Roach Gel, which is said to be very effective. What happens is that the roach eats the gel and later returns to the nest and dies. Other roaches in the nest are then exposed to the poison, which exterminates the nest.

I do not think there is a nest anywhere in my apartment since I keep everything very clean. I also only saw one roach. However, I want to get the gel as a precaution. One thing that I definitely do not want to happen is for the roaches to propagate.

Roaches are very common in New York. I have seen several on the streets. It is definitely a problem and many people are hiring exterminators in attempt to reduce the number of roaches. However, many old apartment complexes have exterminators show up at least ones a month since it many times is impossible to totally get rid of them.

Bed bugs have also become a big problem in New York. A large movie theater at Times Square recently had to close for a few days in order to exterminate bed bugs. A news anchor joked about it by saying “The expression ‘Do not let the bed bugs bite’ is not so sweet anymore.”

I do not know anyone who has been invaded by bed bugs, but it is all over the news. The problem is that they spread through people’s cloths and other fabrics so it is hard to protect against infestation. That is especially true for people riding the subway.

No comments: