Friday, October 2, 2009

First Week of School


My first week of school is finally over. I must admit that this probably felt like one of the longest weeks of my life. I came back from Sweden in the evening last Sunday and had to go to work the following morning. I was quickly assigned new work tasks so it was busy at work.

On Tuesday I had to go to my first classes, which was managing for change and small business management. I was very skeptical about managing for change since I had read we had to do a group work lasting for nine weeks. Now afterwards, I am somewhat more optimistic.

My group seems to be better than the one I was assigned last quarter. I am going to try to organize the work better too and I told everyone to bring back his or her part in two weeks so that we can put everything together in time. We are going to work with Boeing, which is a company that I find very interesting. It is definitely a plus that we were assigned that company.

The professor has a doctor’s degree and apparently very smart. I have not gotten to know her very well yet but I hope she will bring great knowledge to the class. However, we had to do something I thought was a very stupid exercise the first class. Everyone had to introduce him or her to each person in the class and write down something he or she found he or she had in common with that person.

This took maybe 20 to 25 minutes and after the exercise nothing was asked and the notes we had taken about common characteristics could be tossed away. This is something I will never understand. I understand that it is important to network and communicate with people but at this stage in college, I find it extremely ridiculous and unnecessary.

My professor in small business management is very interesting and entertaining. He is very smart and I definitely believe this class will help me get a deeper understanding of how to start a business, which is something I can think myself doing someday.

I also have two online classes this quarter. They are group dynamics and market research. Group dynamics is a class I had rather skipped because I do not think it will bring anything new to the table but I have to take it as a requirement. I should have taken it much earlier in my education but I never found it convenient.

Market research will probably be very interesting. I hope to learn a lot from it and I am looking forward to working with students and the professor to find new innovative ways of doing and analyzing research.

The weekend is finally here and I will try to enjoy it as best I can. I am planning to go out to eat a nice dinner with my fiancée to celebrate our two-year anniversary, which I am really looking forward to. Tonight, I will probably drink a glass of white wine, watch something on TV and just relax.

No comments: