Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Korean Food


This weekend, my fiancée and I celebrated our two-year anniversary. We decided to go out to eat Korean in Korean Town in Midtown Manhattan. There is a fabulous restaurant there called “Shilla,” which basically is a Korean Barbeque restaurant. I had been there ones before and so had my fiancée but we had never gone there together.

At first, I wanted to eat barbeque. I like the fact that they cook it on the middle of the table right in front of people. However, my fiancée wanted to eat something else and I found a few dishes that looked delicious so we decided to go for them instead.

I specifically wanted Job Chae, which is a certain kind of noodles that is served as an appetizer. I had it the last time I was there and I absolutely loved it. It was delicious this time also and the entrees we ordered were absolutely stunning.

They were served in some kind of hot stone bowls. I ordered beef with rice, which included all kinds of vegetables. We also ordered two other dishes that I forgot the name of. What I love about Korean food is that they give you several side dishes that are included in every meal.

I tried to replicate the Job Chae yesterday but it was not a hundred percent successful. It tasted great but I made it a little bit too spicy and I guess I used the wrong sauces. However, I will try again soon because it would be terrific if I could learn how to cook it since I like it so much.

I am still waiting for a book that I ordered from half.com two weeks ago. The seller does not respond to my emails, which is extremely frustrating. If he does not respond within a week, I am going to cancel the order and get a new book. Fortunately, I can borrow the book from our school library and do the assignments from there. However, I would prefer doing it from home.

I have also been unsuccessful in contacting one of my professor’s in an online class that I currently take. I have contacted the helpdesk and they were not able to contact him either. I talked to them again today and they provided me with the phone number to dean, which I will try to contact either today or tomorrow.

This has never happened to me before at Berkeley College and unless that professor’s email is not working, I will get extremely upset especially since it is an online class the only way of communication is through email or blackboard.

There is one question that, especially, Swedish people ask me regarding studying abroad. It is: “Is it hard to get over the language barriers?” The answer to this question is a big NO! Especially Swedish students have nothing to worry about and I have seen students that barely speak English do okay in class because they use some kind of translators.

No comments: