Monday, April 26, 2010

Online Classes

As I mentioned earlier, my entrepreneurship class started off rather slow. However, it is really becoming interesting now. Students were asked to perform a cost analysis last week and this week they are to identify three businesses that they could consider starting.

I have a few ideas and I think I will be able to present them well. After identifying the potential businesses, students are to perform an opportunity analysis to identify which of the three ideas is the most promising. These exercises may be very useful for graduates, who are looking to start their own business, to use.

My only concern is that I do not want to share my business ideas with other students. This is a constant battle in college that students will have to deal with. However, in online classes, these issues become more sensitive as students are required to share their comments with others.

My online internship preparation class is also getting more interesting. Students submitted resume drafts last week and I had mine corrected a few days after that. I thought the suggested revisions were excellent and I am really happy that the professor looked at all resumes carefully.

Students will be asked to submit drafts for “Thank you letters” and “Cover letters” in the next few weeks. These are really good exercises actually, as a well structured resume can be the determining factor in landing a job.

Berkeley College will be holding the annual graduation ceremony this Friday. I will not attend since I do not graduate until in September this year. However, many of my friends are attending so I will, most likely, meet them up afterwards.

A very good friend from Switzerland is also attending the ceremony. He will fly in tomorrow and stay for a couple of days. We have not seen each other for a very long time so it will definitely be enjoyable to meet up again for a few beers.

The ceremony is taking place somewhere in New Jersey and it is not that easy to get there. A few of my friends are planning to rent a car and I guess that I will have to do the same next year. I will probably wait for them in Manhattan so that we can go out to celebrate when they come back. Berkeley College provides everyone with gowns and also prepares for photographers to take pictures of students.

No comments: