Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Las Vegas Day Three


It took more than five hours to drive back to the hotel from the Grand Canyon. It was an interesting experience because it got really dark at night. This may seem obvious to some people but the truth is that nighttime in New York and other cities are brighter.

I guess it is because of the desert and the fact that it does not reflect light as well as other places. At the Hoover Dam, there was a security check and a police officer searched all cars by using a flashlight to light up the inside of the cars.

I had placed my camera tripod in the backseat of my car and the officer got curious about it. After an explanation he just said that it looked “kind of strange.” The GPS that we had borrowed could not locate the address of the car rental place so when we arrived to Las Vegas we had some trouble finding it.

Luckily, my girlfriend has a great memory and was able to direct us to the Strip and get us in the right direction. It was really fun to drive on the Strip and not as hard as I thought it would be.

On our third day in Vegas, we decide to sleep in late. I had requested toothpaste to be delivered to my room the night before. At 8 AM, a service guy from the hotel banged on the door to give it to me, ruining my sleep. In addition, instead of giving me toothpaste, he gave me a toothbrush. The service of the hotel was definitely not good but we never let that ruin our vacation.

We also wanted to try the lunch buffet at the hotel. Both my girlfriend and I thought it was terrible and we were not alone. We saw a lot of people throwing away food. The meat was simple either overcooked or undercooked.

After a somewhat bad lunch, we decided to go out to check out the Strip again. This time, we visited Paris Hotel, Bellagio, Caesars, the Venetian Hotel, and much more. The Eiffel tower was great to see. It is about half the size of the real one in Paris, but they did a good job on replicating it.

The fountains at the Bellagio Hotel were something that we definitely wanted to see since they are a famous attraction in Vegas. I did not expect them to be synchronized with music and it was definitely a fun to experience. The first song they played was Stars Spangled Banner and it was a quite powerful event to experience.

I thought that the fountains, volcano, and other events were ongoing during the whole day, but they were not. Instead, most events happen every fifteenth minute or so. It worked out all right for us but there are always a lot of people attending the events so it is a good idea to be early.

No comments: